Thursday, January 10, 2013

10 hours and a bit of sleep later...

I have arrived!!  England is wonderful so far and I hope it continues to be!  So for me it is Wednesday morning and yesterday was an extraordinarily long Tuesday.  However in reality, it's Thursday morning and Wednesday got lost in the mess somewhere.  So, let's break down the trip across the pond for you all.  In entirety it was pretty uneventful.  Which is a good thing.

Airport drop off:
Mom and I had a wonderful lunch at the Seaside Grill in Santa Monica.  Literally two blocks from the beach.  I would recommend it to anyone who likes Greek/ Mediterranean food. After which she drove me to LAX and dropped me off.  Driving into the parking garage I started to tear up a bit just from all the excitement and nerves.  It wasn't too bad and I think I did very well only shedding a few tears when I had expected a waterfall of emotion coming from my face.  Not sure if Mom was feeling the same way, but if so she did a great job of hiding it.  She took a picture of me at the top of the stairs right before security waving goodbye.  I don't have it, otherwise I would share it with you all.

Now everyone had told me to be very ready for security and customs to take forever.  So I got to the airport about three hours early.  Fifteen minutes after I checked my bags and had my boarding pass I was sitting at the gate ready to board.  Mentally I had a face on kinda like this: -_____-
There was no lines in security, I breezed right through, and the guy checking my passport told me I had very pretty eyes.  All in all, it was a great way to start the trip!

While waiting for the next 2.5 hours before we could board, I met some very nice young women around my age.  One of them had studied abroad in England and was bringing the other one back with her to visit.  I can't remember the one woman's name that had studied here, but her friend was Ashley.  Both very nice people.  I also met a lovely British couple while standing in line to board.  Turns out, I had multiple conversations with the husband before and during the flight.  He was great fun.

On the plane:
Right when I stepped on-board, there was a bar!  I thought it was so cool and strange.  But there were a lot of mirrors involved, plus red and purple lights.  All in all, it looked really great.  During the flight I thought I might go down and take a picture of it to show you all.  I did go down but alas, it was dark because all the first-class people around it were sleeping in their little beds.  Lucky ducks.

The whole plane and airline had a great personality to it, which really made the whole experience that much more enjoyable.  I forgot to mention that the airline was Virgin Atlantic.  If you can ever fly with them, I would highly recommend it.  Listen to me all full of recommendations for everyone!  Geez, it's like I'm an adult or something...
Anyways, when I sat down in my seat I already noticed the English differences.  The first thing I noticed was that there was a blanket, pillow, eye mask, ear plugs, socks, toothbrush, and toothpaste all waiting for me complimentary.  I'm sure that's actually just an international flight thing, but hey how am I supposed to know that if this is my first personal one?  Secondly, I noticed that the safety cards are totally different!  The illustrations are more cartoon-ish and the characters actually have personalities.  I quite liked it because it made you pay attention more to the guidelines.  They also had a video instead of a steward explaining everything.
 Now I had a middle seat, and two fun traveling buddies on either side.  To my right in the window seat sat Paulo.  He looked to be about 30-40 and was from Zambia.  I told him that I have an aunt from there (shout out, Hey Mafia!) and he asked her name.  I looked at him very confused and he explained that they might know each other since it is such a small place.  We chatted on an off the whole trip and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company.  To be honest I was really happy that he didn't smell bad because he was a bit on the larger side and sometimes self hygiene drops out the window with larger guys. Sitting on my left was Gabrielle.  A young woman about my age who looked and sounded like she was Asian.  I'm not very good with deducing it down from there when it comes to Asian peoples.  Especially Chinese or Japanese.  Gabrielle wasn't very talkative but she was very nice.  Paulo and I felt bad for asking her to get up so many times but we had to get up and move around!
Another thing I noticed on the flight was all the food containers they gave us and other items on the plane.  Everything was titled or described with puns or fun words in different languages.  Another shout out to Ali, I thought of you when I saw this magazine.

I didn't get much sleep on the plane, maybe 20 min.  So I was thoroughly exhausted all of yesterday.  I watched 4 movies on the plane almost back to back.  Originally I had makeup on, but the first movie I watched took care of that.  Thanks to the lack of sleep, I was very happy when I saw that we were almost landing.  hence the following photos.  I'm sure I looked like a silly American tourist, but I don't care!


Off the plane and into England:
I got in line to go through the UK border and tried to mentally prepare myself.  I figured that if I made sure my mind didn't run away with crazy situations in which I wouldn't be allowed in, then I would look calmer.  Thus being able to pass through a bit easier.  At least that was my state of mind.  Rest assured, there were no hang ups getting through, but it did feel like a drill Sargent was ordering a firing squad to hit me from every angle with questions.  I was asked how I knew Laura, where I was staying, what kind of photography I planned on doing once back in the states, and many other questions which I'm sure were perfectly routine.  Once I was through with the firing squad lady, I headed out to get my bags.  Funny enough, I ran into my friends from the gate at LAX. Ashley and company.  We talked for a little bit then I was off with my bags to meet Laura.  I didn't want to have any problems going through declared items to I went through the red zone just in case.  The red zone is for if you know that your baggage has things not allowed in the UK or if you're not sure.  I brought pumpkin over to make pumpkin pie as per Laura's request.  I was totally fine and clear to take it in.  Better safe than sorry though!  Laura and her dad were waiting for me right outside the gate and Laura found me right away.  It was so nice to see a familiar face!  We got in the lift (elevator) for the car and the English couple that I had met in LAX and on the plane were there!  We said hello and wished each other a good trip/ return home before going on our ways.  Not much happened in the car from the airport to Laura's house in Epping.  Just another car ride and I was exhausted so I wasn't taking too much in anyways. I've been on English roads before so the whole driving on different sides of the road really wasn't that strange.  The only thing that I did notice is how incredibly green everything is here.  I know that's what everyone says, but there is a reason they do!

Epping:
We arrived in Epping and the road difference finally got to me somewhat.  Only because now there was no median in between so it did kinda feel like we were going to crash at any moment.  My inner driver was very confused.  Once we got into Laura's neighborhood, it was even crazier.  We were going around turns that didn't make sense to me and I kept mentally going "we're gunna crash!"  Of course we didn't.  I was shocked that it is very common to drive on the sidewalks over here.  There is a school right down the road from Laura's house and it was just getting out.  So on one side of the road all the cars were parked not really facing one uniform direction.  Then there was about a lane to drive in and people going both ways.  So to get around each other, they just went up on the sidewalk where the kids were all walking home.  I heard some new road rage words which were very entertaining.  Coming into the house I expected it to be smaller than it is.  Laura kept telling me "My house is so much smaller than yours! You are going to be so shocked."  It's really not.  Yes my house is bigger, but I also live in a big house.  Her house is more compact but efficiently so, everything is tucked in and stacked up.  I like it a lot.

Meeting the family:
So far I have met Laura's parents, her sister Cheryl and brother James.  All very nice people and very hospitable!  Her dad is Scottish and her mom is Irish.  I originally thought that her dad was Irish and her mom was English. Haha Whoops!  Oh well, shows how much I know.  Mr. Moran made me a delicious pork chop and chips (fries) dinner.  I was only about 3pm, but I needed it.  He is somewhat difficult to understand if you aren't paying attention.  In fact, that's pretty much true with the whole family except Laura. I have a feeling that my brain is going to be tired at the end of this trip from focusing so much.  Oh! I almost forgot, the oh so very important tea!

I had my first taste of proper tea and I do have to say, it's much better than American tea.  Although I'm still not really a fan of it.  Oh well, I tried it an that's what counts.  Yes mom, I did have an open mind when trying it and I gave it a few sips before putting it down.

So after meeting everyone and staying up until around 11 (which I thought was commendable with only a 40 min nap) I went to bed.
Gosh everyone looks so great after a ten hour long flight, three hours of driving, and three hours of waiting.  There's also a missing Wednesday in there somewhere.  P.S. - you all should feel special.  I sat down in bed then thought that I should take a photo for you all so I actually got out of bed for you.  You are welcome.  And I looks just so beautiful too... haha =]

First day in England:
Not much has happened but that's because it is now 10am and I woke up at 5:30.  I've had toast and chit chatted with Laura.  I'm going to meet another sibling today and a niece and nephew, I think.  It was and still is a beautiful English morning.

That's the view from my room.  Quite nice.  I thought it was very adorable and cute.  Anyways, time to get off my bum and go take a shower to get ready for the day.  Here I come England! can't wait to see what you've got for me!  Sorry this post was so incredibly long.  Until next time.

Love and pixels,
Kaylen

No comments:

Post a Comment