Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spending time with Albert

Sorry this hasn't been updated in about a week!  I have been so busy and running around and enjoying myself that I forgot to update you all.  So let's see, what did I do this week?  I adventured the Albert Dock by myself.  Yes that sounds sad, but it's actually something I'm really proud of.  The Albert Dock is at least a 30-40 in walk away from the house.  When I decided to go, no one was home so I had no guide.  Luckily I did have a rather cheap taxi number.  I got up my nerve and called myself a taxi.  I know that it really sounds like no big deal, but this was the first time I have really gone out touring all myself in a city I don't know.

When my taxi arrived, the driver was so kind to me!  I told him that I was touring around and he told me places that I had to go and on what kind of a day.  I got insight into the city and a great idea of more things to do from someone who actually knows Liverpool.  He dropped me off at the Maritime Museum on Albert Dock.  It was freezing and windy but I was already so proud of myself for getting out and touring on my own.  Sounds lame, but I don't care.

Now the docks are an interesting place to visit for sure!  There is so much history and you can't really see it unless you look for it because of how modern everything is now.  I walked out and there were awesome ships docked and the lighting was amazing!  The cloud cover makes for wonderful soft lighting.  Sadly, it was very cold so I didn't really walk around too much.  That's to come soon!  Here's some shots of the ships and the Maritime Museum, which I thought were really cool.






My attraction to the Maritime Museum was the Titanic exhibits they had on display.  Since I've never really been interested in a lot of boating/ shipping industry history.  I saw a pamphlet for the Titanic exhibit in the World Museum about the Titanic and it's links to Liverpool.  When I went into the museum, the front desk attendant was so wonderful to chat with.  He was just such a lovely old chap who loved to talk about photography.  It was so nice to meet him!  He gave me a map of downtown Liverpool and told me some of the more exciting things to see inside the museum.  The first Titanic exhibit was about the three devastating shipwrecks that all happened within 3 years.  The Empress, Lusitania, and the Titanic.  There were amazing artifacts an scale models of the ships that had great amounts of detail. I heard first hand accounts via recordings of the disasters and saw such sad pictures.  I know this is sad, but when I think of Liverpool I think of the Beatles, not shipping.  I had no idea that shipping was such a huge thing for Liverpool.  The scale models of the ships were so intense and the ratio blew me away.  At least in the first one, the ratio is 1cm to every 0.5 m.  Crazy!  I've included my photo documentation of the exhibits. It'll probably be more interesting for you all to see what I saw then to try and get an image of it through my attempts at description.





The above picture is an actual life buoy from the Lusitania.












There was a pat of the exhibit that was the German's influence over Britain though war.  The following are some interesting things I found on display.








Towards the end of my visit I got to the second Titanic exhibit.  I was really sad to see the list of all the Titanic passengers in blue and brown.  The blue names survived and the brown did not.  Seeing the color difference between the ticket classes was absolutely astonishing.



Now interestingly, the top of the Maritime museum was the International Slavery Museum.  I went in for a look around and honestly didn't learn too much.  But that's because I already knew a healthy amount on the subject.  There were however so beautifully crafted clothes and weapons that wee also a bit frightening.









Obviously I did more this week than go to the museum, but this blog is way too long as it is.  I explored other museums and took a lot more pictures.  I'm sure I'll update you all soon when my blog isn't quite as long.  Hopefully they won't be as far spread out, but if they are it just means I'm having a ton of fun!  More later.
Love and Pixels,
Kaylen

1 comment:

  1. Good for you - expanding your bravery! Regardless of all the terrible news stories, I still believe 99% of the human race is wonderful, helpful, and generous spirited!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete