Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hobbits and Hendrix


Getting to the train today was a learning experience when it probably shouldn't have been. I made the rookie mistake of getting on the wrong tube line. I was getting on the Direct line and didn't get off at Glouster Road where I'm pretty sure I should have. The mistake I made was just getting on the first train that showed up. Multiple trains show up in the same spot from different lines. It's really not that confusing, but obviously it can be a little bit. When I got on the tube train I asked the guy sitting across from me if I was on the right line and if it went to Euston. Technically I was on the right line, just going a different route. Lucky for me this man (Johnny as I later found out) was taking the same route. He was very kind and let me just follow him. I have to say, being a social butterfly has been a huge help this trip!

Arriving at the Euston train station, I walked in and was immediately totally lost, dazed and confused. Thank you for that saying Dad and Led Zeppelin, it fits perfectly. However this time, instead of freaking out like the last time I was totally lost in a train station, I went straight up to a person in a uniform and asked what to do and where to go. Unlike Paris 2.5 years ago, I understood quickly what to do and felt competent again in a timely manner. From there on it was smooth sailing. I got on my train and have been enjoying Jimi Hendrix and the English countryside ever since.




The English countryside. That's something I've seen a good amount of but haven't really touched on that much to my memory. It is absolutely gorgeous. The amount of green and sheep (not one in the same) is astounding. I mean of course there is brown and dead here too as there should be during the winter. But this looks like Poway in the spring for that one week where everything is actually green before it remembers that actually, we're a desert. I can only say that because it is the dead of winter here so some of the fields are muddy and brown. The amount of green is still more so than Poway, for sure.

Moving on past the shrubbery(side-note: can't help but think of Monty Python when I say shrubbery in England) to the whole scene. When you throw in the rolling hills, little archways over streams, quaint houses, odd shapes of property that makes up a patchwork, and the way people look/act here, I can't help but think of the shire. That is hands down the best comparison I have thought of for England yet. You know in the Hobbit when Bilbo heads off with the crew and says he has to turn back for his handkerchief? Yup, that area and the actual shire is the English countryside. I said in an earlier post that one of the round-a-bouts that I passed could be a hobbit hole. It is so easy for me to imagine little hobbits walking around the countryside with their cups of tea enjoying the pleasantries of life.

So that's where I'm at right now. Riding the train away from the warmth and back to Liverpool after a wonderful short trip to London. Maggie and co. were wonderful! My adventures were very fun and now it's time to explore more of Liverpool. Hopefully I won't freeze! Until next time my faithful readers.

Love and pixels,
Kaylen

No comments:

Post a Comment